The Vinyl Siding Institute recently marked the 25th anniversary of its Product Certification Program, an important tool for buyers and specifiers to identify siding materials that are code compliant and high quality. Products listed under VSI’s Product Certification Program are tested and validated by an independent ISO/IEC 17065 accredited third-party certification body to deliver superior protection and meet and exceed international code standards.
“The program’s goal was standardizing the industry as a whole so that all manufacturers were on a level playing field and that products were consistently produced and distributed to the standards established,” explained Sara Krompholz, VSI’s senior director of technical and certification. “The program was also designed to achieve greater consumer confidence.”
VSI Certified Products provide quick, at-a-glance verification of code compliance, eliminating the need for specifiers to research manufacturer documentation. The products also are tested and proven to stand up to harsh conditions. The program certifies traditional vinyl siding, insulated vinyl siding, and polypropylene siding.
The Evolution of Vinyl Siding Certification
According to VSI, the organization has continued to expand and refine the Certified Products Program as the market has required. This includes adding standards for color in 2006 and adding wind-load testing in 2008. And in 2021, VSI relaunched the program as an independent third-party program with ISO/IEC 17065 accreditation, with Intertek as the certification body. With this change, products in the program must carry a Product Certification Listing (PCL) declaring that it complies with recognized standard. An optional Product Evaluation Report (PER), which denotes that a product meets recognized standards and requirements for building codes, is also available.
VSI says it will continue to evaluate, refine, and adapt the Product Certification Program as it moves forward. “The sky’s the limit,” said Krompholz. “We are continuing to evolve and expand our scope as evidenced by the addition of backed siding. We are working on recognizing Canadian certification to the National Building Code of Canada (NBC). In the future, we might consider adding accessories and other PVC-related materials, and a scheme has been written to allow us to include expansion opportunities, which could also expand membership.”
Westlake Royal Building Products Certified Under VSI’s Program
Nearly all vinyl siding products from Westlake Royal Building Products are certified under VSI’s Product Certification Program. These include:
- Exterior Portfolio®, Carolina Sands
- Exterior Portfolio®, CraneBoard® Solid Core Siding®
- Exterior Portfolio®, Elm Grove™
- Exterior Portfolio®, Market Square®
- Exterior Portfolio®, Parkview®
- Exterior Portfolio®, Portsmouth™ Shake & Shingle
- Exterior Portfolio®, Premium Pointe®
- Royal® Vinyl, Estate
- Royal® Vinyl, Estate Colonial Bead
- Royal® Vinyl, Genesis
- Royal® Vinyl, Haven® Insulated Siding
- Royal® Vinyl, Portsmouth™ Shake and Shingles
- Royal® Vinyl, Premium Vertical
- Royal® Vinyl, Residential
- Royal® Vinyl, Royal® Crest
- Royal® Vinyl, Woodland
- Royal® Vinyl,Traditional Double 5 Vertical
- Foundry® Specialty Siding, 10” Staggered Shake
- Foundry® Specialty Siding, 7” Staggered Shake
- Foundry® Specialty Siding, Perfection Shingles
- Foundry® Specialty Siding, Shakes
- Foundry® Specialty Siding, Shapes
For more details on Certified Products, visit the VSI certified products listing and search “Westlake.”
To view products, browse idea galleries, and order samples, visit Westlake Royal Siding Solutions™.
Want more industry insights? Subscribe to our enewsletter!